Former drivers with unfulfilled potential in F1

This forum has been created for us to talk about Formula 1 and give our opinions. You can open your own discussions related to Formula 1.

Este forum esta pensado para que hablemos de Formula 1 y dar nuestras opiniones. Podeis abrir vuestras propias dicusiones acerca de Formula 1.
Luka77

Former drivers with unfulfilled potential in F1

Postby Luka77 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:58 pm

I was thinking about this...and a few come to mind as drivers who had alot of talent but for some reason or another failed to make a big impression in this sport...

Jan Magnussen is the first to come to mind.. Sir Jackie Stewart described him as the greatest driving talent to emerge since Senna... most recently, I believe Kamui Kobayashi would have made a great driver if given a chance in better teams...nowadays Nico Hülkenberg seriously should be in a better team than Force India.. I always tought of Luca Badoer as someone who didn't get a fair opportunity aswell.. the coverage of his driving for Ferrari in 2009 by the media was terrible..

Anyway, what do you guys think ? Which drivers are on your mind on this subject ? And how much it has to do more with drivers not having sponsors or not being very marketable for the teams ? I'm sure there's a few very good drivers out there in the smaller leagues who just can't get their shot..

F1Admin
Site Admin

Re: Former drivers with unfulfilled potential in F1

Postby F1Admin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:42 pm

There are a lot of drivers who would have been better if they drove for different teams. And there are others who had their careers truncated because of very bad accidents such as Johnny Herbert. He had a terrible accident (I don't remember the year) when he was a very promising driver and despite he managed to recover and get back to the circuits I think he never did the same.

Regarding driving in a better team of course it is a key point for a driver. Think about Hamilton. He's never driven in a humble team, he started his career in McClaren and he's been always driving for top teams. This fact marks the rest of your career. Raikkonen and Alonso, for example, are world champions but they started driving for a really low teams.

Unfortunately, nowadays the F1 is very conditioned by the sponsors so you can find drivers racing in F1 when they don't have the level or in the contrary drivers racing for bad teams when they deserve more. Teams changing drivers in the middle of the season like Manor did with Haryanto is a reflect of that matter. I must add that Haryanto is one of those drivers who, in my opinion doesn't have enough talent to be racing in F1. Manor didn't renew Roberto Merhi who is way better that Haryanto because this issue with the sponsors.

I agree with you about Hülkenberg, he has good skills but at the same time I think he could get more from his car. Force India is not a top team but it isn't the worst either.

Luka77 wrote:I was thinking about this...and a few come to mind as drivers who had alot of talent but for some reason or another failed to make a big impression in this sport...
If you blink, you'll miss it.

Luka77

Postby Luka77 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Do you know anything about Stoffel Vandoorne ? I was very surprised they dropped button for next year but from what i've read Vandoorne has true natural ability..

And yeah, certainly accidents can end promissing careers.. remember Robert Kubica ? That was world champion stuff.. such a shame what happened with him. I'm trying to think more about drivers who had good cars but didn't actually use it to the full potential, a mentality problem... I remember Heiki Kovalainen at Renault he was very good then came to Mclaren and just looked a bit below his level...

In regards to the sponsors/bussiness side of the sport, it really is sad, Pastor Maldonado for me was never F1 quality.. but I think due to all the money the sport has, there should be something done to make the sport more exciting. New circuits, getting famous old circuits like Paul Ricard back on the calendar, Even outside the track, they could make the drivers more acessible to the fans, make more special interviews and documentarys.. anything which keeps a young fanbase connected to the sport. I believe most of the people who watch the sport nowadays are people who already did it at least ten years ago.. recently F1 was bought by Liberty media.. let's see what they can do.

F1Admin
Site Admin

Postby F1Admin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:08 am

I think they dropped Vandoorne because they knew the new McClaren it's going to be at least a three years project until they start to win and when you have to develop a car from so low, I think is best having experienced drivers such Button and Alonso.

And how could I forget Kubica!!?? That was a really good driver!! And he had such a nasty accident. I remember him driving that BMW. I also think he would have become world champion with better luck.

To improve F1 I'm really looking forward to seeing how things go next season with all that changes. Will the aerodynamic changes let them get rid of the DRS? I'd really love watching cars overtaking again without that DRS... drivers having to prepare the overtaking during several laps before engaging... I think that is achievable with some aerodynamic and it would improve F1 spectacle a lot don't you think?

Luka77 wrote:Do you know anything about Stoffel Vandoorne ? I was very surprised they dropped button for next year but from what i've read Vandoorne has true natural ability....
If you blink, you'll miss it.

Luka77

Postby Luka77 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:28 pm

Sure, now everyone just waits till they can use that...

I don't trust Ferrari to get back to their best days next season, but perhaps Red Bull can make a big improvement.. hopefully the changes will have a effect like in 2009 when Braw gp came out of nowhere and won it on the back of a terrible Honda car...

Return to “Let's talk about F1/Hablemos de F1”